AGGREGATED ACTING FORUMS

Build a smart actor website in 90 seconds! Click here to begin.

Welcome New Members & Admin: Casting Question

Welcome New Members & Admin: Casting Question

Posted on Jan 10th

My DD is friends on social media with a female writer and was sent a message from this writer asking if she had auditioned for a certain film role the writer created & thought she would be perfect for.  My DD did audition for it in person at a big casting office. She wrote back & told her she did audition.  But the writer replied her audition tape was not included in the group of tapes sent by the CD.  Wow!  I’ve heard of this happening (CDs only choosing their favorites to send to director/writer) but didn’t think it was true.  A director friend of ours said he sits in on 1st auditions because casting can be very political in who they filter out & sometimes the clients of big agents or managers the CDs are friends with are the only ones directors see at the callback.  Any insight?

Music/Theatre/Dance: Could your school's theater program use $10,000?

Music/Theatre/Dance: Could your school's theater program use $10,000?

Posted on Jan 10th

NBC is offering $500,000 in $10K grants to 50 schools for their theater programs in association with their new program RISE. www.NBC.com/Rise http://www.lohud.com/story/entertainment/theater/high-school/2018/01/10/could-your-schools-theater-program-use-10-000/1020095001/  

Working Actors and Models: If this is accurate -- it's crazy -- Pay Disparity

Working Actors and Models: If this is accurate -- it's crazy -- Pay Disparity

Posted on Jan 10th

Same agency negotiated for both actors.  Resulting pay difference: $1.5 million to under $1000.  http://money.cnn.com/2018/01/10/media/mark-wahlberg-michelle-williams-pay-gap/index.html po

Working Actors and Models: Pilot Season 2018

Working Actors and Models: Pilot Season 2018

Posted on Jan 10th

Plans? Thoughts?

Casting agent trying collect fee without contract

Casting agent trying collect fee without contract

Posted on Jan 9th

Several friends and I sent our pictures and resumes in response to an online public casting call for a non-union acting job. The casting agency that posted the listing forwarded our information to the client and we were all booked for the shoot. Before the shoot, we had no other...

When is it appropriate to announce a role on Facebook?

When is it appropriate to announce a role on Facebook?

Posted on Jan 9th

Hi everyone! This past year I booked a recurring role on a television show. When is it appropriate for me to announce this on Facebook and social media? I want people to know about it before it airs but I often don't see other friends post about their roles until...

I'm back!

I'm back!

Posted on Jan 9th

Wow, this message board has changed. I guess all the old posts are gone, as was my old account. I used to be "BrentontheMove." It's been awhile since I was here last. I thought I'd come back and impart any knowledge I can as I get some good advice when...

Entertainment Industry Chatter: Donnelly Rhodes RIP

Entertainment Industry Chatter: Donnelly Rhodes RIP

Posted on Jan 9th

I always liked this guy ever since the days of Soap when I first saw him. Didn't realize he was 80 but I guess we're all getting older. Does anyone remember Soap?  http://deadline.com/2018/01/battlestar-galactica-and-the-flash-actor-donnelly-rhodes-dies-aged-80-1202239053/

Working Actors and Models: Change Stage Name?

Working Actors and Models: Change Stage Name?

Posted on Jan 9th

Happy New Year Dear All! I have a question and I need advice! My Kid wants to change her professional name to a stage name. We called SAG-AFTRA, and they informed us that we need to write a letter to them and call all of the payroll companies. My question is, how does her adopting a stage name work regarding her Coogan account and tax return when her accounts are under her legal name? Thank you all so much!

Entertainment Industry Chatter: MBB to produce/star in Holmes Mysteries

Entertainment Industry Chatter: MBB to produce/star in Holmes Mysteries

Posted on Jan 9th

Now I'm going to have to see if our library carries this series. Never heard of it. http://deadline.com/2018/01/millie-bobby-brown-enola-holmes-mysteries-stranger-things-legendary-entertainment-film-deal-nancy-springer-1202239229/ EXCLUSIVE: Legendary Entertainment has made a deal with Emmy-nominated breakout Stranger Things star Millie Bobby Brown to star in and produce a feature film series based on Nancy Springer’s Enola Holmes Mysteries novel series. Brown will produce through her PCMA Productions banner. The book series began with the 2006 title The Case of the Missing Marquess. The series spans six novels, revolving around mysteries investigated by Sherlock and Mycroft Holmes’ much younger sister, Enola, who proves to be a highly capable detective in her own right. The first and fifth books in the series were nominated for Edgar Awards in 2007 and 2010, respectively.

Resume Help!!!

Resume Help!!!

Posted on Jan 8th

Hello everyone :) I am trying to put together my acting resume as I have an audition with a small local company at the end of this month. I am having quite a bit of trouble with formatting and terminology! Could anyone please give me a hand? Any help is much appreciated xx Thank you!!!

8 Indispensable Character Creation Tools

8 Indispensable Character Creation Tools

Posted on Jan 7th

After studying many techniques, I'm heavily involved in making up my own process that uses tools from writing fiction and universal archetypes, but here are the tools and techniques that served me best along the way so far.1. Breathe Like Them: by observing others' breathing, even in performance, one can attempt to replicate their breathing patterns, and experience all new physical-emotional sensations, unlocking a great part of what it is to live in that character.2. Build Your Neutral Gear: Discussed by Graham Dixon, "neutral gear" is an exercise wherein you stand as neutral as possible, and by making slight changes to balance in each direction, notice the mental changes that accompany each new "stance". After practicing this, you are better able to differentiate character behavior from your own. Other things that I believe make you more neutral and thus better able to inhabit various characters are Bill Connington's Alexander Technique meditation (basically a body scan and journal entry), Alexander lie-down (supported floor rest intended to reset and rest the body), and Checkhov's four movements of molding, floating, flying and radiating.3. Learn the Archetypes: If you're reading Jung to learn these you are in for a journey. Just as important as the technical understanding of archetypes for an actor are the sense impressions you get from them. In other words, what does each mean to you? What makes some feel more important than others? Unlocking these answers may be key to understanding your niche, your dream roles, etc.4. Comic Toolbox Method: According to John Vorhaus, characters come in four basic pieces, especially comic ones. They are comic perspective (overriding view), exaggeration, flaws, and humanity (some endearing quality that helps us identify with them). I use this to think up characters and to interpret ones I'm assigned to play.5. Protagonist Embodies the Theme: A Steven Pressfield Principle, Steve argues that in a well written story the struggles of the protagonist are embedded into the theme of the film. They reflect each other, provoke the central conflict, and their resolutions are intertwined. Asking questions can help uncover these: What is the story trying to say? Why was this particular character chosen to tell this tale? What about them played a part in causing this conflict? What about them needed to change in order to resolve it?6. Full Psychological Gesture vs Buried PG: One of the key aspects of the Chekhov technique is his psychological gesture, wherein you find the body position that evokes the strongest feeling of the character and depicts their essence. In trying to exercise this somewhat confusing aspect of the technique it occurred to me that I was being the character as if they had nothing to hide, didn't need tact in their interactions, and decided it wasn't true to the way we communicate. So I'd rehearse the scene in full out essence of the character, and then I'd run it with that self buried, restricted, wanting to come through but only achieving a fraction of it, depending on what stage of their arc they're in.7. Put the vocab in emotional terms. Redefine boring acting class words with thinking from your own life. Something like need instead of objective, and fear instead of obstacle. And then define all the pain points for that character. Sometimes I'll list ones from my person life too, to find the differences. How these words that are supposed to describe emotional terms got sterilized in the first place has to do with history and the political climate in which Stanislavsky's books were written. 8. Character Alignments: this is my writing partner Josh's favorite, and is particularly useful if the story's theme centers around morality. The alignment puts characters on a spectrum from most chaotic and evil to lawful and good. It's a favorite of game designers and D&D players, and is fun to read just to know it. What tools or processes do you use in creating a character? Do you know what your favorite actors use? If anyone knows what Benicio del Toro does tell me. I was on one film with him and did not get the chance to ask! Anyway, get at me for character discussion, whether you are working on a film or writing one with me in mind ;) #acting #practice #rehearsal #studynotes #character

Good Tips on How to Become Famous

Good Tips on How to Become Famous

Posted on Jan 7th

This content has been removed for violating the community guidelines

Actors and Actress Needed for DC Comics Fandub!

Actors and Actress Needed for DC Comics Fandub!

Posted on Jan 7th

Hey everyone! I’m putting together a video on the DC Comics ‘Vengeance of Bane’ storyline which will be posted on Youtube, but I need help. **These will be paid positions in Australian Dollars (AUD) through Paypal, please check Paypal’s currency exchange to avoid confusion).** The characters are listed below with sample lines. These characters are South/Central American in origin as this is roughly where the story takes place. They all speak English (with the occasional Spanish word), but they should have a Latin American accent (I understand this is vague, but if you have specific questions, I’d be happy to answer them). The only exception to this would be the character “Bird”, who is from the USA. Additionally, **all of the roles are male except for the Young Boy which should be a female voice.** Also I suggest you check out the link to the images/scenes of these lines to help you understand the context. https://imgur.com/a/E3BMv Feel free to audition for as many of the roles as you want and be sure to send the auditions to mynameiskendo@gmail.com. If I feel like you may be a good fit for the role(s), I’ll contact you to further get a gauge of your voice, your range and answer any questions you may have etc. Then if we come to an agreement on everything we can get started! Looking forward to hearing your auditions, thanks everyone! :) **CHARACTERS** ~~**Young Boy – 6 years old. Abandoned. Latin American accent.**~~ ~~*“Can anyone hear me? Osito? Light...It hurts... Is someone there?”* [Scared]~~ ~~*“The nino is dead, Puerco. But I am here.”* [Sinister tone]~~ ~~**Prison Warden – Middle aged, overweight, wealthy, corrupt. Voice sounds a little gruff, with a Latin American accent.**~~ ~~*“Your mother has left you quite alone, little one. You must fend for yourself”*~~ ~~*“I will not have such abominations in my prison! He is a **BANE** to everything holy!”*~~ **Puerco – Prisoner, Overweight, sinister, manipulative.** *“In this place, you must have friends... Manana, then. We will become good friends tomorrow.”* [Sinister] *“One so small can slip beneath the notice of the guards. He will be useful to me.”* ~~***Bird – American, Imprisoned Jailhouse lawyer. Above Average intelligence, Loyal.***~~ ~~*“I got screwed by some partners in Gotham. They tell me you’re a kid who’s going somewhere. You need anything, you call on me. You got magic. I could use some of that.”*~~ **Trogg – Brutal, loyal, Protective.** *“The boy does not want your filthy hand on him, Puerco. Release him."* ***“I SAID RELEASE HIM!”*** **MISC** ~~**Tortured Man**~~ ~~[Man screaming in agony due to electrical torture]~~ ~~**Random Inmate**~~ ~~[Fight sounds, sounds of pain due to knife stabbing]~~

Working Actors and Models: good tax news for $16K or under crowd

Working Actors and Models: good tax news for $16K or under crowd

Posted on Jan 7th

https://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/deductions-actors.html This says that the new tax law did not repeal the Qualified Performing Artist Deduction, so low-earning actors can still deduct expenses against employment income -- just not kids earning over $16K.

Entertainment Industry Chatter: Can Hollywood Change it’s Ways?

Entertainment Industry Chatter: Can Hollywood Change it’s Ways?

Posted on Jan 7th

This is a great read. It’s long, but worth it. http://flip.it/jdEDyi If this link doesn’t work, look up my subject title. It’s the name of the article. 

Entertainment Industry Chatter: Women in Hollywood fear backlash

Entertainment Industry Chatter: Women in Hollywood fear backlash

Posted on Jan 7th

Thanks to a member for pointing this one out. Very interesting and makes you think. http://deadline.com/2018/01/hollywood-sexual-harassment-assault-scandal-backlash-fear-women-1202236427/ EXCLUSIVE: “What we are seeing and hearing coming out now is a fraction of the ugly reality in this town,” a prominent producer says of the sexual harassment and sexual assault allegations that have emerged out of Hollywood in recent months. “And it’s going to ultimately stay small, trust me,” she adds. Three months to the day after the New York Times first published its detailed exposé alleging decades of sexual harassment and sexual assault by Harvey Weinstein, a female producer, agent, actress and a showrunner all told Deadline they fear a backlash against women who initiate allegations of sexual harassment or sexual assault against A-list men — especially at the studios, networks and uber-agencies.

Welcome New Members & Admin: Awards shows & women’s self-image

Welcome New Members & Admin: Awards shows & women’s self-image

Posted on Jan 7th

Superb read by Amber Tamblyn!   https://www.nytimes.com/2018/01/07/opinion/sunday/amber-tamblyn-golden-globes-metoo.html

Music/Theatre/Dance: Kyle Hanagami dance class?

Music/Theatre/Dance: Kyle Hanagami dance class?

Posted on Jan 6th

Does anyone have DC that is a dancer and knows how to find out about Kyle Hanagami's classes? My DD heard they were drops-ins and knows he teaches at MC but doesnt know how to find out when they are!

New to Acting: Rates for Commercials?

New to Acting: Rates for Commercials?

Posted on Jan 6th

DD has one commercial and it paid $200 for limited distribution.  What would be some rates we should shoot for?  One non-union is  $750/12 session (for print and video), $1500 video buyout if in final edit, $1000 print buyout if used in final edit, 10% agent's fee.  Is that about top of the line or average? Others I see say SAG rate without any additional information.  What does that mean? Thanks in advance?

Places to live in LA as actor.

Places to live in LA as actor.

Posted on Jan 5th

Hope this helps someone.  https://actingplan.com/best-places-to-live-for-an-actor-in-la/

Entertainment Industry Chatter: A & E: Undercover High

Entertainment Industry Chatter: A & E: Undercover High

Posted on Jan 5th

I'm trying to figure out how in the world they got permission to do this in a high school? While the results might be helpful it still is a bit creepy imo. Wondering if the cameras used were visible and kids and parents just thought it was a regular doc with regular students? Or did they use hidden cameras and keep it all secret? I didn't find it in this article but maybe it will surface.  http://www.businessinsider.com/undercover-high-2018-1 You couldn't pay most people to relive their high school experiences. But that's exactly what seven young adults did for the new A&E documentary series "Undercover High," which premieres Tuesday. The show follows the seven participants, ages 21 to 26, as they pose as students at Highland Park High School in Topeka, Kansas, during the spring 2017 semester.

Welcome New Members & Admin: Hello From a Newbee with twins

Welcome New Members & Admin: Hello From a Newbee with twins

Posted on Jan 5th

Hello All I am new here. My daughters are 3 yrs old identical twins and we are from the NY tri-state area. I am seeking a safe forum to ask questions as i navigate their 0-100MPH careers. Especially the smaller details like filing taxes, needs of a Publist and role of an entertainment lawyer. The things you often can't Google or trust from a quick search.  Thank you and looking forward to gaining a partnering voice in all this. 

Welcome New Members & Admin: LA Casting

Welcome New Members & Admin: LA Casting

Posted on Jan 5th

Just a heads up for everyone to check their CC bill for charges from LA Casting. My son's account was credited in Dec. 2017 (after I emailed them and asked) and was told he had a free account AND free media hosting through May 2018.  With zero warning, I received a receipt from them today for January charges!  

Actor life

Actor life

Posted on Jan 4th

Hey, I felt like I was more serious about acting this year than any other. I looking to make the next step akin the new year. I'm still non union so if you have any advice please let me know. Instgram @CrowderCompany Happy holidays!

Jobs

Jobs

Posted on Jan 4th

Hello! My name is Samantha, I am 16 years old. I'm new in the industry, and I was wondering if anyone has any tips on getting signed to a good agency and/or where to look for them. Thanks! :)

Meeting with a Manager or Agent

Meeting with a Manager or Agent

Posted on Jan 4th

Working Actors and Models: Reel footage from streaming services

Working Actors and Models: Reel footage from streaming services

Posted on Jan 4th

I wanted to update my child's reel for pilot season but all of her new stuff is streaming. DVD purchase is not an option. I have Movavi- which has worked in the past but it no longer works for Hulu, Amazon or Netflix.  Is there a service that can collect this footage for us? 

Working Actors and Models: Resume question

Working Actors and Models: Resume question

Posted on Jan 4th

Hi. My son has two agents. Big bicoastal. And small local.  They don't get along. It's a pain sometimes. But anyway.  The question and disagreement of the day is: resume  so, do you guys include roles that your DC has booked and filmed, on your resume, even if after it comes out, the scene (s) were cut and they are no longer in the film/show? my DS booked a small role in a Huge Film. Principal. With lines. It's not released yet, however, I have a friend involved in post that says the scene is cut. bicoastal agent says to remove it from resume (even though we don't know for sure yet it is cut). Keep in mind, this role was filmed before he signed with this agent. And the agent says "they talked to casting" and casting says he is not in it (not sure if it means they said he was never in it or what)...also, not sure who in casting they talked to, there was an LA CD and a NY CD. Both cast him, but our dealings were direct with NY. small agent says leave it on resume. (He was with her at time of booking). But agent says it looks bad if they pitch him and he's not actually in the film. I get that. But...he did the work. He has the paycheck to prove it...I mean, what's the point of a resume if you don't include the work you've done? also, learned a long time ago to use "supporting" or "lead" as opposed to characters name on resume. Has that changed???!!!

New to Acting: Film Schools

New to Acting: Film Schools

Posted on Jan 4th

In another post, several people heaped praise on USC as a top school for student films.  Are there others in the LA area, like USC.  I'm curious about Loyola Marymount, and there is also a high school in LA that has had breakdowns on AA.  And if anyone in other markets like NY, Atlanta, or Chicago wants to chime in about their local schools, that would be useful for other newbies like us. Also, if you know of any schools to avoid, that would be helpful.  

I need Help.

I need Help.

Posted on Jan 3rd

I'm an actor who's got a nice collection of footage together for a reel.  My problem is I'm on a contract on a cruise ship and for the gig I've lost close to 50lbs.  Don't get my wrong I'm healthier, looking better and more confident but my look no longer matched ALL of previous footage.  My goal was to start marketing for representation while I'm away working but can I market myself this way?  Do I shoot new scenes?  Do I send my old footage with my new photos so show skill AND what I look like now?  I'm torn and worried.  I want to further my career.  Please advise.  

Just booked my first lead - now what?

Just booked my first lead - now what?

Posted on Jan 3rd

I just booked my first leading role!! I don't really know what to expect, though... Is there anything I should know or be doing differently?

Zak Barnett Studios

Zak Barnett Studios

Posted on Jan 3rd

Has anyone taken any classes by this studio? It looks like the Core (place where any new actor must start within the studio) is taught by John Rushing and Martha Gehman.

Questions

Questions

Posted on Jan 3rd

So for the people getting started would if we live in an area where there isn't opportunities and it isn't recognized as much and we find a casting call and it's quite far, is there a way we can send an audition tape or something? Do you have to have...

Odds and Ends (Off Subject): Bomb Cyclone!

Odds and Ends (Off Subject): Bomb Cyclone!

Posted on Jan 3rd

Good luck to all in the path of the storm hitting the East Coast!  Snow in Florida today??  Yikes! po

Anybody going to Slamdance this year?

Anybody going to Slamdance this year?

Posted on Jan 2nd

I am covering the film festival for my online platform GoIndieNow, so if any of you want to get together and talk about the festival, the movies we have seen, the people we have met. If you want to do an interview with me there. I would love to hook up with you all. I will buy you a drink or two or coffee or two (although I think they would have free refills). Hit me up.

Acting Techniques

Acting Techniques

Posted on Jan 2nd

I'm interested in learning about different acting techniques. I've taken Practical Aesthetics at Atlantic and liked it, but want to learn more about other techniques. Meisner, Adler, etc...good places to study? Pros and cons?

NEW COLUMN - How to Talk to Agents

NEW COLUMN - How to Talk to Agents

Posted on Jan 2nd

https://www.backstage.com/advice-for-actors/secret-agent-man/5-donts-when-talking-agent-holiday-party/

Entertainment Industry Chatter: Jodie Foster dismisses superhero movies

Entertainment Industry Chatter: Jodie Foster dismisses superhero movies

Posted on Jan 2nd

While I do enjoy a shoot 'em up, CGI heavy, blockbuster movie every so often I totally get what she means here. Jodie's opinion probably won't be a popular one with many moviegoers but I get it.  http://deadline.com/2018/01/jodie-foster-black-mirror-superhero-movies-marvel-studios-dc-1202234126/ 

Entertainment Industry Chatter: New host on Today Show

Entertainment Industry Chatter: New host on Today Show

Posted on Jan 2nd

Hoda Kotb takes over as anchor. Now there are two women. She is 53 so they went with maturity over youth.

Tips?

Tips?

Posted on Jan 1st

I'm 16 years old, and I'm very new to the world of acting for film. I was previously a theater actor and singer and I want to branch out. Any tips coming from one and to the other? Thanks! :)

Acting schools article.

Acting schools article.

Posted on Jan 1st

Link.  https://www.nytimes.com/2017/12/01/nyregion/acting-studios-are-struggling-does-it-matter.html

Advice about acting.

Advice about acting.

Posted on Jan 1st

A link.  https://www.buzzfeed.com/candacelowry/secrets-aspiring-actors-wont-tell-you?utm_term=.ahKN4AjNKm#.buGwN9YwRE

Resources/Coaches, Headshots+: SAG Conservatory?

Resources/Coaches, Headshots+: SAG Conservatory?

Posted on Jan 1st

Hello all and Happy New Year!  I am wondering if any of you have experience with the SAG Conservatory.  My DD is LA now so now that she can take advantage of those resources, we are trying to find out more info.  The SAG website has very little info other than the price $45, seems like a no brainer) and a catalogue of classes from summer 2017.  Are the classes good?  Or very beginner?  She wants to take an improv class.  Also, wasn't there something about casting through this?  Are these student projects, unpaid, and if so are they worth it?   Thanks for the info everyone!

Odds and Ends (Off Subject): Happy New Year 2018

Odds and Ends (Off Subject): Happy New Year 2018

Posted on Dec 31st

Wishing you all a wonderful and Happy New Year!

Entertainment Industry Chatter: What are you watching? Maybe for NYE?

Entertainment Industry Chatter: What are you watching? Maybe for NYE?

Posted on Dec 31st

What are you watching right now? What's bingeable for New Year Eve at home? I am two episodes into Legion with Dan Stevens on Hulu. I think it's originally from FX? I didn't know too much about it and it's really weird but super interesting. I'm not sure its "bingeable" though, as after I watched two episodes I felt like I needed a breather. Such a roller coaster of a show! But I think I am ready to get back on tonight perhaps. The only thing that's disappointing is that in the credits I saw that Bryan Singer is involved. I should have known since its also Marvel related. Bummer!! I didn't know that until I was done. Hopefully he is not associated when there's a second season. Good casting - Dan Stevens does a great job with this and I love Aubrey Plaza and Jean Smart. Also some new faces (to me) like Jeremie Harris and Rachel Keller. What are you watching? What's on your watch list?

sorry

sorry

Posted on Dec 30th

I would like to get started in music and acting industry.

I would like to get started in music and acting industry.

Posted on Dec 30th

I am 13 andI would like to get started in music and acting industries. I will work hard to satisfy high expectations from any company.I‘M not going to be available at anytime because I’m have got my own phone.

Actor Apps

Actor Apps

Posted on Dec 30th

Has anyone ever used any actor focused apps they can reccomend? I just found out about the app, "Rehearsal PRO" and "Sides," any recommendations or experience with them?

Life Question's

Life Question's

Posted on Dec 30th

Is it it worth it anymore to move to La for acting from Nyc. I just wanted to know from people that have taken the journey lately since their is so many productions being filmed now in the city

Web For Actors Blog

Showcase your work with a free website

Niche professional websites for people in the film and TV industry.

Weeee, you found me!

I'm your buddy Bottie, I was hiding behind the scenes, but now that you've found me I'd be happy to tell you what I'm doing.

Actor Website helper: Bottie

I just wrote a few fun facts about Web For Actors

Would you like to take a look?
Click here to check them out. I hope it will cause involuntary audible response.